Monday, September 28, 2009

First day as a student at the Universita degli Studi di Firenze

So, I got up really early today and put on my first day of school outfit. :) Andrea and I arrived a half hour early to our Museologia class and just stood around sticking out like sore thumbs until we were able to go in. The lecture hall felt like a dungeon. It was poorly lit, the windows were barred and covered by black curtains, and the walls were a dirty off-white. Not very conducive to learning in my opinion, but whatever. I'll keep an open mind.

Class started a little late, as is normal for Italians, but it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Of course, I only understood bits and pieces of what the professor was saying, but she spoke at a decent pace, so I wasn't completely lost- I knew she was talking about museology and museography! I thought we were doing a good job blending in as Italians until the professor asked, in Italian, "how many foreign students do we have today?" So, I had to raise my hand. Well, that gave it away. It was nice while it lasted.

I proceeded to take notes on what I understood and of course, 15 minutes in, my pen ran out. I decided that it was probably better to just listen anyway, considering the fact that I have tutors to go over the material with. She decided to end the class at 10 instead of 11, and handed out some papers. Apparently, there was a pile of papers for foreigners and a pile for Italians, but I couldn't tell the differences between them because nothing was labelled. So, I took two different pieces of paper, but some other ones were already gone. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Dobby asked us to go back and clarify with the professor the things we should have taken.

After class, we took our exam at CLIDA to see if we passed the level. It was a nightmare. After the 1.5 hours it took me to finish, my head was spinning. I certainly wasn't alone though. We spoke with the secretary when we were leaving (she is Italian), and she told us that the only way a person can do really well on that exam is by being able to speak fluidly and understand cultural phrases, etc. So, that's proof that we are nowhere close to understanding everything, but it also shows that they have some sympathy for us.

We got some lunch and gelato, and then I ran a few errands. I booked the Trenitalia train for Rome (for Paul's visit) so that's all squared away. Now, I'm just sitting here in CLIDA waiting for 5:15 to roll around. This break is too ridiculously long. 5 hours?! I only wished we lived a little closer so it wasn't so inconvenient to run home for a nap or something. I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll see a museum to kill time.

I don't anticipate much happening later today. After class, we're going home for dinner. I am most definitely staying in for the night. I need sleep before Oktoberfest!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment