Saturday, March 6, 2010

A taste of Holland

I think I may have already mentioned that we have a new Dutch friend, named Elmer. On Thursday night, me, Kevin, Maggie R and Andrea went out for a few drinks at Cafe Bigallo. I texted Elmer to invite him because he's always texting us non-stop, asking what are plans are. He never answered, but then showed up randomly and I never think before I greet him. I always say "HEY ELMER! WHAT'S UP!?" He answers: "I'm fine, how are you?" It makes me chuckle every time.

We all had a great time talking to him. It was really interesting to notice all our cultural differences, as he nonchalantly talked about sleeping with girls and smoking weed. At one point, he was giving us his opinion on American girls. He said that from what he had heard, they were pretty much sluts. He found that they are pretty, but often overdone with makeup and under-dressed for the weather. Most of this is true for Elmer to see, especially considering the small selection of American girls that were in Cafe Bigallo and fitting the profile perfectly. At one point, we were talking about that fact that American girls don't wear enough clothes, and Andrea and I were trying to explain to him that not every girl was that way. It figures that his opinions were sealed when a slightly-heavy girl walked in, pulling one of those just-covering-the-butt dresses down as she walked. Elmer felt the need to say "There's the perfect example of what I'm saying. That girl has elephant legs." We DIED laughing. Sorry to whoever that girl is out there in Florence. I don't think Elmer realizes how insulting he can be, because he's new to the American culture. He understands the language, but doesn't really know what needs to be censored, and what's ok. That's the funniest part.

At some point, we got into talking about how his Dad owns some Paul and Shark stores and discovered that every article of clothing he was wearing was at least 200+ euro. But, he assured us that he didn't have to pay for these things and that he would never be crazy enough to do that. 500 euro jeans!!!??? Oh wow. Of course he drives an Audi A4, but says that he doesn't want it anymore because he feels like he sticks out and doesn't think that he's old and mature enough to drive such an expensive car. Haha, this kid is veryy interesting. Anyway, he's really hoping for some friends, so we welcomed him to hang out with us whenever he wants. I think he's coming to the soccer game with us tonight, but I haven't heard from him since he was on his way to buy the tickets. We'll see what happens.

I am so excited to go to my first European soccer/football game!!! It's Fiorentina vs. Juventus. It's supposed to be a wild one. We bought our purple Fiorentina scarves yesterday, and we're ready to go. To give you an idea of just how rowdy it gets, they don't sell alcohol in the stadium. The crowd is crazy enough when it's sober. Uh oh :)

Updates after the game.

FORZA VIOLA!

No comments:

Post a Comment