Sunday, March 7, 2010

Fiorentina vs. Juventus and a day in Lucca

Ciao everyone,

Last night was fun, but quick. Around 4, we all met at Kevin and Jeff's humble abode and got a delicious late lunch from Alessandro (the guy who owns this fabulous restaurant under the boys' apartment). Then, we hopped on a bus with our oversized Stella Artois and headed to the game. It was mayhem there. We had made sure to come prepared with snacks, even though we weren't sure that we would be able to bring them into the game. I had a jumbo pack of cookies in my purse when we arrived at the entrance. A very large security guard asked me to open my purse and pointed out the fact that I had cookies in it. Somehow, I managed to come up with an elaborate, and believable, lie that I was sick with diabetes and needed occasional sugar boosts. He totally bought it and let me through! ONLY IN ITALY WOULD THIS WORK.

Anyway, the entire stadium was packed with purple Fiorentina fans and we found a huge empty space of seats right in the front, near the glass. I guess everyone likes to stand up higher to get the best view. The game was really fun to watch and the fans were incredibly rowdy. The personnel is actually required to leave a section of seats completely open on both sides of the opposing team's area, so that no one kills each other. Juventus (from Trentino) is the best in the league I believe, so we lost. I thought that Fiorentina didn't try hard enough. They looked much slower than Juventus, but I guess they are the professionals, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Either way, the game was a lot of fun. Afterwards, we were exhausted and just went to Kikuya for a drink. Then, we went home and I made it to bed by 11:30! Amazing.

Today, we all met Elia at the train station to take a trip to Lucca. Of course Elia, being his Italian self, showed up late and we missed the train and had to wait an hour for the next one. So, we arrived in Lucca around 1:45 and searched for a restaurant that would feed us. Mind you, most restaurant kitchens close between 2 and 6, so we had a really hard time finding a place that would take 10 of us. We did manage to find a nice place after 20 minutes, and spent two hours eating in there. We all shared fried mozzarella, pecorino with honey and fig jam, assorted crostini, and smoked meats. Then, I had a farro soup, which was delicious. For dessert, Grace and I had Vin Santo and Cantucci, and everyone else had cheesecake. It was a very nice lunch. We got out around 4:30, which was already incredibly late. But, Elia still had plans to show us all the churches, so we followed him around for a while. At 5:30, we were ready to go home but had missed the train by 2 minutes. So, we went to a fancy cafe and had some tea and cookies, all paid for by Holy Cross. We took the 6:30 train home and Maria Pia had tons of homemade pizza waiting for us. Sooo delicious. I ate too much today.

On a good note, I spent all of 50 cents for a postcard. Everything else was paid for by Holy Cross. (Well sort of, considering the fact that our parents are the ones who give Holy Cross all the money).

Anyway, I'm exhausted and I have a terrible week ahead of me.

Buona notte!

No comments:

Post a Comment