Sunday, January 24, 2010

Italian Opera

Today, we went to the Opera. The theatre just so happens to be on the same street as Aunt Gale and Uncle Ellis' house, so I knew exactly how to get there. On our way there, we found ourselves following mobs of old women in fur coats, so we weren't exactly sure how this thing was going to turn out. Neither Jeff nor Andrea came, so when we arrived, Maria Cristina (Dobby) was there and decided to try to scalp the un-used tickets. While we watched the old-timers filtering in, Dobby was off doing her thing and came back with the money from having successfully sold the tickets. However, it turned out that her customers had wanted 3 tickets, instead of 2. So, she sold hers! She then told us that she would show us to the door, but that we'd be seeing the show alone.

So, we got in there and had the hardest time finding our seats. The ushers didn't actually help. They just stood there and chatted while watching us struggle. Turns out that stupid Elisa booked us seats all over the theatre. Maggie Wright and I were in the left wing, in separate rows, while Kevin, Maggie Rossi, Carla and Grace were scattered through the front area of the right wing. Who wants to go to a show when you can't sit with your friends?! Who knows.

Anyway, the show was called L'Italiana in Algeri by a guy named Rossini. The first 5 minutes were very colorful and lively, and it was helpful because the lyrics to the songs were on a screen. However, my body couldn't take it anymore and forced me into a deep sleep and I missed the whole act! It was just so warm and dark and the classical music was so nice, so of course that was bound to happen!... especially considering the fact that I was out until 3:30 last night. I woke up a few times when I heard applause because I didn't want anyone to see that I was sleeping, but no one noticed anyway. At intermission, we decided to leave because it was obvious that neither I nor Carla, who was also sleeping, were getting anything out of it, and everyone else was just tired and had to study for their finals tomorrow. So we left, found a cafe, and got a cappuccino and cookie for Maggie Rossi's birthday. Now I'm back home and getting my things together to start studying. I can't wait until Wednesday is over. I'm ready for the fun to begin! This has been the longest month of studying ever!

So much for the opera. Maybe next time.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment