Saturday, May 29, 2010

A "light lunch" with Maria

A few days ago, Maria proposed the idea to use the gift card (that we had given her as a thank you for a great year) to take all 8 of us out to lunch. We were very flattered by her unnecessary gesture and happily accepted the invitation. So, today at 12:15, we met outside of CLIDA and walked to the beautiful 5-star plus hotel, called Hotel Helvetia & Bristol, for what Maria and Piero called a "light lunch." The hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Before entering the dining room, we had aperitivo in the lobby on velvet couches while admiring beautiful paintings hanging on the wall. We drank prosecco and snacked on olives, pistachios, peanuts and potato chips. Mmmm :)

Our table was beautifully set and Maria and Piero had already picked a set menu for the 10 of us, which was delicious. We started with vegetable lasagna which was lightly fried in a rounded crepe-type of pasta. It was probably one of the best lasagnas that I had ever tasted. Then, they brought out an arugula, parmesan, braesola and olive salad that was incredible. Sadly, I couldn't finish it all because I was so full. For dessert we had chocolate, vanilla and hazelnut gelato in one of those cone bowls. The entire meal was out of this world and we had a great time chatting with Maria and Piero.

At the end of the lunch, we took a great group photo and shed some tears (again) for the amazing relationship that we had built with Maria and the chapter in our lives that is coming to a close. Maria and Piero are such wonderful people and I'm so thankful to have come to know them so well. We'll be writing each other and calling as often as possible.

After we said goodbye, a few of us sat in Piazza della Reppublica for a while to soak up the sun and then we bought some books for next year's Italian class at Holy Cross. Then, everyone else had to go to tutoring, so I walked around the center and bought a few last-minute things and then did some window shopping on the Ponte Vecchio. I don't know why I torture myself. Now I have a ring idea in my head that I'll never be able to afford. I'll keep searching.

We're all staying in tonight because last night was pretty crazy and because everyone has a final exam on Monday. Mine is on Tuesday, so I fortunately have one extra day to study. To be quite honest though, I'd rather just get the thing over with. I think I'll just pack my bags a little bit tonight to get myself ready. I don't want to spend my last day in Florence packing.

On a side note, Miss Maggie Rossi found a great video of Dario Cecchini on the Bertolli website. Dario is the out-of-his-mind butcher that runs the restaurant, McDario in Chianti. Piero and Maria took us there in April, and we had a great time, so I thought I'd throw the video up here so that everyone could see how whacked out (and brilliant) this man is. I didn't realize that he was so world-famous! Aren't we lucky?!

A dopo!

No comments:

Post a Comment