Saturday, December 12, 2009

Lunch in Fiesole and Christmas shopping

Buona sera! Today, I reluctantly got up really early to meet Maggie Wright, Jeff, and Elia (our cultural advisor) for lunch. Andrea came as well. We all met up near Piazza San Marco and took Elia's car to Fiesole. We saw this cool Etruscan museum and the ancient amphitheater below it. It was sooo cool! And so old! We got to walk all over it and had lots of fun.

After that, we had lunch at a nice restaurant. Holy Cross paid for everything (yay!), so we ate bruschetta and assorted crostinis for apps, and each had a bowl of pasta. We also ordered a cheese platter and after lunch, coffees and cappuccinos. It was really nice to be able to have a long conversation in Italian. Elia made fun of me for the way I speak. He said that I pronounce every syllable and speak slowly- like an old woman! This was no surprise because I know I speak the same way in English. Oh well, that just means that people can understand me even better, right?! I hope so.

After lunch, Andrea, Maggie and I went downtown and I finished up my Christmas shopping. Andrea and I found a great gift for Maria Pia at the Luca della Robbia ceramics store. It's a wine carafe and it's beautiful! I can't wait to give it to her! We made friends with Mr. della Robbia, the guy who runs the place. We talked for about a half hour and he gave us a discount on our purchases! What a nice guy. I'll be going back there a lot.

Tonight, Kevin, Andrea, Benedetta, Benedetta's friend (Eleonora) and myself are going out to dinner in the center at this really good pizza place. They want to talk about America haha. Italians are crazy about America and it's so funny to hear! I'm really looking forward to speaking more Italian and hanging out with them. I really enjoy their company. They are so much fun... and Italian!

Perhaps I'll have more to report tomorrow, after my evening has finished...

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment