Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Stressed

I am completely stressed out about the most ridiculous things. Actually, while they are ridiculous in some ways, they are also very important, so I think some of my stress is legitimate.

First off, these freaking Italians really need to light a fire under their butts and get their business together, because I can't handle them anymore. They are TOO carefree. We were supposed to know the dates of our finals right after Easter. Nothing yet. The urgency to know grows with every passing day. I'm not sure I mentioned it before, but the reason we are worrying is related to our having to book a return flight way back in July so that we could obtain our visas. So in July, I booked my departure flight for August 31st and return flight for April 1, the latest they had available. When the beginning of March came along, we had to look into changing our dates because if you let yourself pass the date, you lose the ticket and the money along with it. The professors/tutors/etc. didn't seem to know, care, or understand our reason for needing to know our exam dates when it was time to change our flights the first time. No one helped us. Therefore, back in March, I changed my flight from April 1st to May 26th, in hopes for making it home for my Dad's birthday on the Vineyard. It has now been a month and a half and still no word.

I ran into my literature tutor (Claudio) yesterday while I was on my way to class and told him that I would be asking the professor for any updates on the exam. He warned me "Don't ask him too much. He'll get very annoyed." First off, what the heck does Claudio think we do?! It's not like I LOVEEE talking to the professor. The last time I had said one word to him was in the beginning of the semester in regards to being a foreign student. I'm scared of the guy! I proceeded to tell Claudio that we really needed to know the date of the final because again, we are nearing the date where we'll have to change them for a second time. He said to me: "See, I told you not to book a return flight!" in one of those condescending voices. I got soooooo pissed. We have explained to him a million times the fact that we HAD to change our flights or else we would have lost our tickets. He's knows his Italian Literature, but I'd say that's about it. What an idiot. I'm completely pulling my hair out with this huge unknown that's lying at the end of May. The longer I wait to change my flight (if I have to), the more expensive it will become and the less seats there will be. Also, I HAVE to be home for the start of my internship, which is June 7. I'd like to get home a few days early so that I'm not a zombie on the first day. Right now, I have no solution and I'm continuously racking my brain, but writing it out at least helps to calm me a little.

On a more minor, but still stressful, note, I am in the process of prepping for class registration for next semester. I have a very tight schedule because I have to pretty much start and complete my Childhood Studies minor, and also finish my Italian major. I have 8 spaces for courses throughout both semesters. I have 3 classes remaining for Italian, and 5 for Childhood Studies. While I'm aware that 5+3 equals 8, it's much easier said than done. I have to get permission from all these people because I want to take high level courses, and I'm trying to bypass the SOC 101 class, which is a pre-requisite for some Childhood Courses, but a complete waste (that won't fit in my schedule) towards finishing my degrees. I've emailed about 10 different people, and they are slowly getting back to me. I know it's a very busy time at Holy Cross, but I hope they know that they are driving me crazy in holding back this info from me. I'm hoping for responses by Monday.

I'm also quite distracted by the illness of Grandpa (Mrs. Fanelli's Dad) and I hope that everything is going alright over there in America.

There are so many people that I miss and think about all the time, and I really can't wait to see everyone again and give them all huge hugs! Part of me feels ready to go back to America, but I know that once all the un-known holes are filled in throughout the next few weeks, I'll feel a little calmer.

All I can say is that a beautiful beach weekend in Amalfi has come at the perfect time. Updates next week on our trip!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment